Togo & Benin

April 11th: Well, I've learnt my lesson. You know that one where people tell you to be wary of chicken and salmonella poisoning in Africa. yeh, that one, and I love chicken, I've just learnt that being poisoned by one isn't so hot. The breakfast of pinnekaas and chicken had me throwing up all evening. I felt like death and ended up, when not hunched over in a bush, sleeping on a wet sun lounger. It was an absolutely brilliant way to end my time in Ghana. I felt absolutely terrible today, and the border crossing into Togo passed in a semi-lucid blur. We made our way to the "Chez Alice" campsite, only to find they were full, so instead we headed just around the corner to another campsite. It was decent, apparently, I honestly wouldn't know, I say this because on arrival I pitched my tent and went immediately to sleep. I even did the unheard of and skipped supper! Then, in the night, just to re-inforce how messed up my Kharma is, I was bitten on the leg by a spider!!! aaarg!!!
12th April: The bite has begun to swell. Still haven't recovered. Can barely keep my eyes open. It's so bad that no matter how hard I try I can't remember the border crossing into Benin... Slept all day until we stopped. When we did eventually stop I thought it would be best if I numbed the pain with a beer. Like a vigor elixir I was instantly restored to my former glory. After having not eaten for two days the effect was just magical. So magical in fact, that my newly re-established adversity with nature will manifest itself in a fuzzy bunny dinner platter.... It tasted like CHICKEN! DAMNIT!!!
13th April: Got going early this morning, feeling refreshed and more like myself. The bite on my leg itches like hell and the ring of angry redness is spreading. Why me! I mean really! I hate spiders the most out of everybody on this trip, yet I'm the only one being constantly harassed by the bastards! BASTARDS!
We crossed into Nigeria via the Kikanda border crossing. The crossing was very simple and absent of any hassle. What did take time was the fact that all the people and officials just wanted to chat the whole time. Once through the driving was intense and the roads terrible. We just kept on going and the hours just kept dwindling away. Village after village passed by, each one stopping us to check documents. The sun began to drop, it was getting dark, and despite what people warned about camping in Nigeria, we had to stop. There was no way we could continue on at night on these roads. We spotted a cluster of mango trees and pulled in underneath them. The overhanging branches would give us enough cover, and the pocket of darkness made us practically invisible. Before it was dark we set up camp, cooked and ate so as not to give our position away with a cook fire. In the silence of the night I can hear the next village which must be just over 100 metres away, just beyond the next line of trees.